Postnatal Depression (PND)
- Loss of enjoyment in most activities
- Loss of self-esteem and confidence
- Loss of (or increase in) appetite and weight
- Inability to sleep restfully (even when the baby in asleep)
- Sense of hopelessness, guilt and being a failure or a ‘bad’ mother
- Loss of libido
- Fears for the safety or wellbeing of the baby and/or the partner
- Suicidal thoughts or ideas.
As with the psychological trauma symptoms, PND is a condition that will require treatment. This will include counselling, and possibly medication, from appropriate mental health professionals. Partners may also need assistance. There are many useful online treatment programs. Discuss the situation with your GP (remember to ask for a long consultation).